1. Leave your home 15 minutes earlier. This may sound like it has no relation to love, but it does. Give yourself permission to use the extra time to see what is around. The stress we emit only draws more stress and tension. Being relaxed gives us the possibility to be available and pay attention to what we normally let pass. Smiles attract smiles.
2. Ditch the headphones: I live in New York City and I love to listen to music or study when I’m on the train, at the airport, gym, walking the streets or picking up a bagel. If you have your headphones on, you probably will not pay attention to your surroundings, and if someone is paying attention, you will not notice. Love only happens when we are present.
3. Get to know your neighbors. And your bartender, and your local dry cleaner. Say hello to the people you see everyday. Get to know their names. Not only does it make the world a more pleasant place to live if we acknowledge each other (which is reason enough to do it), but it makes you that much more approachable. And you never know who is noticing what a warm and friendly person you are!
4. Find something attractive about all of the people you meet. I play this game sometimes when I’m riding the subway, or I’m sitting in a restaurant. I look at everyone around me and I find something attractive about them. It doesn’t matter if they’re male, female, black, white, old, young – there’s something attractive about everyone. Once you start viewing people through that filter, everyone becomes more interesting and approachable. And guess what? So do you.
5. Act like a tourist. When I’m on vacation, my eyes are open, my head is up, and I go where the wind takes me. You emit a whole other level of energy — the attractive kind. Routine isolates us and makes us go unnoticing many things that have a great value in our lives.
6. Give your smartphone a break. Believe me, I know how wonderful the smartphone is and its dozen of brilliant applications, but I urged you to take a break from it when in public. If everyone did this, there would be a lot more love connections happening in the world, and not just in a virtual way.
7. Smile. This one is a no-brainer, isn’t it? I don’t have to convince you that you are better looking, better feeling and infinitely more approachable when you smile. Next time someone catches your eye give them your best smile. At the very least, you’ll be adding some joy to their day, as well as yours. It’s worth doing for that reason alone.